In version 6.0 onwards we can use pass phrase instead of password for the esx hosts. In a default password policy its disabled, but we can enable it.
- Login to the vcenter using web client.
- Select the host which we need to edit the password policy.
- Select manage
- Select Advanced System Settings
- Type “password” in search box and select “Security.passwordQualityControl”
- Edit the policy
- According to this policy, we need to use 16 characters which includes 3 words for our passphrase password policy.
- Now we can enter pass phrase as our password